Friday 19 October 2012

Developing my questions.


After been given feedback from alun and reading his blog post;

The art of asking
I began to think about my questions again and redefine them so that they are more focused and not so general on a wide scope.

How essential is it to have performance qualifications to run your own dance school?

Could become

What qualities does holding a vocational collage performing arts qualification give to teachers running their own dance school based in the north west?

Here I have given the questions an agency as I would be specifically looking at the teachers viewpoint, I have also stated a location that I would be looking into so that I could narrow my research field to something that I would be able to fully look into given the time scale and my location.

 

)With so much of this year being focused on the olympics and fitness i wanted to question how fitness based and conscious a dance class should be?

How much of a ks2 after school dance class for girls is geared towards fitness?
 
With this questions I first took away the ‘Should’ so taking away an underlying truth, I then went on to state a specific age group and gender thus closing in the scope and giving me a direct focus group to look at.

 
How beneficial is dance not only to our physical but also our mental state, in the recreational and the professional sense?

This question was a very wide question that I could not possibly have the time or resources to look into properly so I needed to scale down the inquiry more.

I decided to split it into two sepertate questions;

How benificial is dance class to the over 40s for physical and mental well being?

Here I have gave a specific age group and stated that it is a dance class that they would be partaking in narrowing my scope down.

In what ways does being a professiona femalel dancer just starting her career effect the mental state?

With this question I have geared it more to a specific topic ‘mental state’ and narrowed it down by stating the gender and stated the age range I would also be looking at.

 

I feel this is just the beginning of my redefining of questions and even developing new ones but I wanted to blog my thoughts so that I can see that I am on the right path and see my progression as I go along.

 

3 comments:

  1. Hey Steph. Thanks for this blog, it gives support for my findings in the development of my questions. Subquestions, or as you say splitting it up, can give a great tool for being diverse and allowing for detailed areas of thought. I think it will give you the start of some great conversations with people.

    All the best,
    Ahmet

    ReplyDelete
  2. having looked at these questions again i decided to focus on the one that i felt interested me the most, this was,

    How beneficial is dance class to the over 40s for physical and mental well being?

    However looking at this question i feel i would struggle to research into it as i do not teach the over 40's and do not know many that i could question on the subject.

    So i decided to rework my question slightly into something that could be more beneficial to me and that i could get more out of.

    At the moment i am currently teaching very you age groups the highest age i teach is year 6 primary and right the way down to two year olds so i feel my research would be more beneficial to be focused on that so i reworked the question as;

    How beneficial is dance class to primary school children for physical and mental well being?

    I would like something along this to be my line of inquiry as it is something the genuinely interests me as well as something i feel i would have the capability of researching into.

    However i do not know if i still need to make it more specific maybe be actually specifying a smaller age group;

    How beneficial is dance class to children between the ages of two and five for physical and mental well being?

    I decided to pick this age group as it is a group i have just started teaching (through diddi dance) and i find it really interesting watching there interactions and seeing how they develop over the weeks as they are at such an influential stage of there life.

    Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

    Steph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steph,
    I really am beginning to understand from your blog how adetailed but small change to a question can make it so much clearer, you have inspired me to do the same with mine. With regards to your question about how beneficial dance class is to children between the ages of 2 and 5, I think it is hugely beneficial mostly for their mental well being. I worked for a year in Bermondsey with a class of 4 year olds, who all had different capabilities. I think as you say their little personalities are all very influenced by what they are experiencing at this stage. I was amazed at how you can see them worrying and being hard on themselves and how some are popular and some are more introverted. I think dance would I imagine free them all up and let them break out of the daily routine of classes which lets face it is a very long day for them at that age. Most of them then go to after school clubs as well so dont get home till 6. I dont know anything about dance but I can imagine they would all be more confident after a period of weeks and certainly a little more stress free.
    Hope this helps.
    Pauline

    By the way I hit reply to your reply to my blog and wrote to you. Did you get it? I must master this blog thing before I finish the degree, ha ha!
    Best wishes,
    Pauline

    ReplyDelete